In November of 2012, shortly after Dawn was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer, she learned that her cancer had the vulnerable EGFR mutation. In her new book titled Winded: A Memoir in Four Stages, Dawn writes about living life to the fullest after being diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. She has been treated with the drug Tarceva for close to eight years and she writes unflinchingly but with great tenderness about both her cancer fight and her struggle with depression. This is a worthwhile read for anyone who has ever struggled with depression, cancer or a chronic illness and it is also a worthwhile read for the people close to that person.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL HEAR ABOUT THINGS LIKE:
- How the actress Natalie Wood provided motivation for Dawn to write her new book titled Winded: A Memoir in Four Stages.
- The lessons Dawn has learned from living with cancer and struggling with depression.
- The impact living with cancer has had on Dawn’s family and her own self-worth.
- How Dawn now knows that instead of being “a rube,” she is “a ruby.”
SOME QUESTIONS IRENE ASKS DAWN:
- Having never been a smoker, how did you find out that you had Stage IV lung cancer?
- What does it mean to have the vulnerable EGFR mutation?
- How have you learned to live with “the voice” that comes your struggle with depression?
Contact: Listeners can reach me through email at email@example.com
Social: Instagram: dawnnewtonwrites